The Education and Training Foundation (ETF) is the sector-owned, government-backed workforce development body for the Further Education and Training sector.
Our mission is to support the continuing transformation of our country’s technical and vocational education system by ensuring the sector has world-class teachers, trainers, assessors and leaders. This leads to ever improving learner outcomes, a better skilled workforce and a stronger economy, country and society.
We do this by improving, driving and championing the quality of the sector’s leadership, teaching and training through:
- Setting and promoting Professional Standards, awarding QTLS and ATS, and managing the Society for Education and Training, the professional membership body for the sector
- Supporting the sector through reform and change
- Leading professional and workforce development for teachers, trainers, assessors, leaders and governors
- Being the home of independent, impartial and comprehensive workforce data and research
From 2013 to 2018 the ETF has gone from strength to strength, securing in aggregate £95m in grant funding and £10m from other sources to deliver high quality support and development programmes. The priority areas of investment have been:
- Maths and English teaching
- Leadership development
- Apprenticeships support
- Recruitment initiatives
- Professional exchanges
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment training and development
- Workforce data collection and analysis
The ETF now has an annual turnover of around £28m, employing 50 members of staff. Many of its programmes are delivered with the assistance of partner organisations.
In 2015 the ETF launched the Society for Education and Training (SET). It quickly became the sector’s largest professional membership body. With this development, the ETF became the organisation responsible not only for maintaining the sector’s Professional Standards, but also providing independent assessment and accreditation against these standards.